Beige Improv

Yesterday I made 29 beige scrappy improv blocks:

I added them to the current project box which is filling up fast. Tomorrow I'll work on green. 
This is the second project box I have containing these blocks. The previous box contains 300+ six inch improv blocks. 

I hope watching this is inspires some people to start working with their hoard of scraps! Here's a few tips to get you started: 

Step 1 - sort fabrics

  1. Sort fabrics by color 
  2. Some colors may need to be sorted into sub groups e.g. light green, bright green, dark green, sage green...
Step 2 - prep
  1. Press fabrics as needed (remember they'll be pressed a lot as part of the FPP block construction so only press really wrinkly stuff)
  2. Cut large pieces into strips
  3. Cut charm squares size pieces in half 2 ways (some in triangles, some in rectangle)
  4. Sort fabrics into size/shape piles to speed up the piecing process
  5. Cut scrap paper to your desired size to use as the foundation. I like 6" squares. 
Step 3 - block construction, here's a recent YouTube video I uploaded that explains my process.
There are so many patterns you could use these for! Due to our upcoming move it'll be 2023 before I get a quilt or more likely several quilts made using these blocks but I'm excited about the prospect. I have about 500 blocks made so far.