My Scrappy Improv Piecing Process

I've been improv piecing for almost a decade using scraps. I love the technique and find it the fastest way to use up scraps. I've spent years honing my process and have made hundreds of blocks already this year using this technique.

I'm always asked what my process is so I've cobbled together a few quick videos to show the process.

2022 Improv WIPs and Completions

I've already completed an improv quilt this year that featured all the busy print fabric or dated prints that I didn't want to add in to the rainbow quilt I'm currently working on. One side featured scrappy half hexagons framed by an improv scrappy border:
The other side was almost entirely improv foundation pieced:
I've also got blocks made for an improv pieced zipper quilt but haven't found time to assemble the quilt top: 
These 6" blocks will be subcut into 3" squares
If you don't know what a zipper quilt is here's a Missouri Star QC YouTube video: 
https://youtu.be/XtLL4liuW8o
So these colorful improv bricks will be offset with the neutral 3" squares to create the zipper effect. 

Sew the Rainbow!

But the majority of the blocks I've used this technique on this year have been color/tone specific 6" blocks:
I've made over 400 of these blocks this year in many different colors/tones and still have more to work on. I've made so many that the first project box got full and I had to start another one! I'll add these 71 dark blue blocks I pieced today to that project box!