Broken Herringbone Quilt

About 6 to 8 months ago I started this quilt but today I finally finished it!




I adore the backing! Each color block was backed in the color that matches the 'bones' of the block.


Using this QAYG method there is a line of topstitching on the sashing that is visible on the back of the quilt - see it to the left of the sashing in this photo:


So that it wasn't going to interfere with the lovely backing fabrics I used Sulky invisible thread for that step so that it would be barely visible on the front or the back. I am happy I did that it has turned out great!

And since I was using the invisible thread I decided to do a machine binding by sewing the binding onto the back and folding it to the front then top-stitching it down, the invisible thread meant that the stitching line that is just inside the binding on the back of the quilt when you do this is also barely visible!


And the top-stitching on the front of the binding suits this project because all of the sashing is top-stitched anyway and I did straight line quilting on the bones for each block.



This method does make it quite difficult to line up the blocks when attaching the rows, because there is sashing already attached between the blocks that obscures your view of the points, so my third row wasn't quite aligned properly but I can live with it.


This also happened on a few of my scrappy QAYG quilt points but it wasn't as obvious on that quilt because of the neutral sashing, this black sashing highlighted the problem! So I would keep that in mind when choosing colors if I used this method in future.


It is great to have another finish done for 2014!

So far in 2014 I have completed: 

  • 3 cushion covers
  • 7 dog jackets
  • 6 quilts

So my passion for finishing WIPs and UFOs is paying off, it is a lot of fun finishing what you start.
I love finishes!!!




Popular posts from this blog

Oops - time to prioritize progress goals

A Rainbow Scrap Challenge Finish!

Free block pattern of the week