My EPP Kit

I've had a few questions about my EPP kit so here's a look into what I think is vital for a basic kit that enables you to begin English paper piecing. 

It's actually pretty simple, which is why I think this style of piecing is so popular that it's been having a revival amongst modern quilters for the past few years. 

Template Creation

  • Paper scissors
  • Hole punch 
  • Printed EPP templates - I have free printables available on my download website (link in left sidebar)
I use the hole punch to create a hole in each template, it makes them easier to remove later! 

Sewing Tools:

  • Thread & thread snips
  • A needle & spares (I broke two making my hexie quilt)
  • Needle keeper/pin cushion
  • Thimble (if you choose to use one)
  • Unpicker (unsewing tool)

Organisational Stuff

  • Small clips (I use tiny bull dog clips)
  • Trash receptacle
  • Free standing lamp
  • A lap tray
  • A few small containers/baskets to sort fabrics by colour/style
I have a free standing lamp from IKEA that sits behind my armchair and it's perfect! Lighting is important because you will thread a needle a LOT! 

So compared to machine piecing it is a relatively simple setup! It's also a pretty inexpensive setup that makes it great for anyone with a tight budget, because you can create a quilt top without an expensive sewing machine!