Mug Rug Swap

I recently participated in the Quilting Gallery Autumn Mug Rug Swap:
 http://quiltinggallery.com/quilters-fun/fall-mug-rugs-swap/
My partner was from the East coast of the USA and has a great blog:
http://fulltimesahm.wordpress.com/

I decided to do one Halloween inspired rug and one harvest inspired rug here they are:

 I embroidered Dracula, printed a Halloween rhyme on printable fabric and used Halloween prints then a bright orange solid fabric for the border and binding. I free motion quilted a meandering pattern in a clear sulky thread.


For this one I paper pieced a pumpkin block from http://piecebynumber.com/hearts.htm then I surrounded it in black and fall/harvest prints, the black binding and meandering free motion quilting using a Coats and Clarks multicolor variegated orange thread really finished it nicely - this was my favourite, I might make me a table runner with this pattern/color pallette.

I was cutting fabric up two weeks ago into usable charm square sizes for leaders and enders, so I decided to cut some for my swap buddy too:

A Christmas mini charm pack and a solid fall colors mini charm pack

So this is her bundle of goodies I hope she enjoys them it is my first swap of sewn items!



What did I learn doing this?

  1. I really need to try doing mitered corners on my next binding, I have never done it and am getting increasingly annoyed with my corners, they could use improvement! 
  2. Hand binding isn't all that bad! (I had avoided it entirely until last week) But I need practice LOL
  3. Small projects can be fun too, not everything has to be a quilt!