Thrifty Thursday

It was my privilege this week to deliver 15 charity quilts to the Children's Hospital of Colorado South Campus on behalf of the Castle Rock Quilt Club:


15 charity quilts are actually quite bulky when they are all together so I used a large Ikea shopping bag I had to carry them in, it worked extremely well:


That inspired me to try making my own simple giant tote bag for carrying quilts and other items in, so here it is a giant tote bag full of fabric and tools for the quilt retreat I will attend for the next 3 nights and I even made a carry bag for my cutting mat and rulers whilst I was at it:


The fabric was bought at a thrift/op shop for a few dollars, I think it was old curtain fabric. The giant tote isn't lined it is just a simple bag made from 3 pieces; a 25" x WOF section and two end pieces curved at the bottom corners and attached to the main piece using french seams like I do for my shopping bags, I'll do a tutorial next time I make one, I didn't bother today because I wasn't sure it'd work LOL.

The cutting board bag is a big version of the one in my tutorial: http://adventurousquilter.blogspot.com/2014/09/how-i-make-simple-french-seam-shopping.html