Sewing Studio Organization - Scraps!

In all seriousness if you don't manage your fabric scraps you will be drowning in them in no time!

So here are my tips for managing your scraps.

1. Be honest, do you want to make scrap quilts? 

Decide if you want to use them! Some quilters gift their scraps to other quilters because they just are not interested in using them up and that is OKAY! If your answer is no then give them away ASAP ask at a local quilt guild if anyone wants them! If your answer is yes you want to sew scrap quilts then keep reading.

2. Sort by Color

I have piles for:

  • Pink
  • Red
  • Burgundy
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Aqua
  • Teal
  • Purple
  • Berry 
  • Blue
  • Brown
  • Beige
  • Green
  • Black/grey
  • Cream/white/low volume
And I also make a massive pile for multicolored busy prints. 
Scrap Sorting in 2022
3. Decide
How do you want to use your scraps? FPP, EPP, traditional piecing?
Because what you do next depends on that.

Foundation Paper Piecing
Here's a video I did about my favorite way to use FPP to make improv quilt blocks:
And here are some of the blocks I have made with that technique:

English Paper Piecing
Traditional Piecing
For traditional piecing cut your stash into the sizes and shapes you would use.
For example, I cut:
  • 3" squares
  • 2.5" squares
  • 2" squares
  • 5" tumblers (using a handy Missouri Star Quilt Co acrylic template)

  • 2.25" strips for scrappy quilt bindings
4. Start Pressing and Cutting
Those scraps won't organize themselves. If you find this task annoying, just do a little bit each day for a few months and you will see progress.

5. Allocate Storage Space

There are many ways of storing scraps. I like to sort them by size and store them on open shelving so I can see what I have and add to them easily but if you have limited space then project boxes/tubs are a functional idea. I have some vintage Tupperware containers that are perfect for 2" squares! 
Be sure to allocate shelf space to store the tubs/containers too!

6. Start Sewing
To be efficient at scrap usage you should always have at least one scrap quilt on the go! So, start sewing! Here is a peek at one of my scrappy improv quilt tops made in 2023: