Sewing Studio Organisation

One of the vital keys to sewing studio organisation is using up bits and pieces of leftover patchwork from previous projects so you aren't wasting storage space! 

Yesterday I came across some leftover scrappy border strips from about 5 or 6 years ago. So I quickly stitched them together into a patchwork rectangle, which I then quilted and bound to complete a new kennel pad for our dogs. 

I didn't know exactly which white background fabric I'd originally used between these scrappy squares so I wouldn't be able to easily incorporate them into a future quilt border. So I just wanted them used up in a small project. 

So, if storage space is a problem in your sewing space, consider making a small project everytime you find a scrappy remnant from an old project. Here are some ideas: 

  • Mug rug
  • Placemat
  • Table runner
  • Cushion/pillow cover
  • Bed roll 
  • Dog bed
  • Kennel pad
  • Doll quilt
  • Picnic utensil roll up - see my tutorials tab
  • Zip pouch
  • Book cover - see my tutorials tab
  • Patchwork tote/shopping bag
  • Dog coat - see my tutorials tab
  • Baby quilt
There are plenty of ideas, so find all the orphan blocks, leftovers, odds and ends and get stitching!