An update on the 50c thrift store quilt block bundle...



These are some close ups of the blocks. I have decided to do black sashing to diffuse the colors a little.

The completed quilt top.

My goal with this quilt has been to keep the cost down to honor the  fact that I only spent 50c on the quilt blocks at a thrift shop. So I used batting offcuts from previous quilts, I had to sew 3 pieces together. I used an old sheet as the backing fabric and I bought the cheapest black quilt fabric i could from Walmart for $2.44 per yard to do the black sashing and borders. So the whole quilt probably cost about $5.

I also tried a couple of new things with this quilt:
1. basting spray - this stuff is wonderful, I am not sure how I've survived my first year quilting without it!
2. Specific machine quilting thread, I had been using just the all purpose thread.


The completed quilt

The binding

If there is one thing I am sure of now it is that I need to spend some time learning the quilting features of my new machine and practice using them, my machine quilting is a mess up close!!! But they say practice makes perfect, ah one day maybe...

Popular posts from this blog

Oops - time to prioritize progress goals

A Rainbow Scrap Challenge Finish!

Free block pattern of the week