Paper Piecing

I designed this pattern many months ago but it wasn't until today that I finally found time to try it out. It was actually quite quick to piece into sections but as is common at this point the pattern did need some adjustment as I went to prevent problems with putting the sections together.

Oops I saw a mistake and had to unsew one piece at this point!

I got the pieces together before I noticed another mistake so at this point I began to unsew again LOL


I replaced the errant white piece with a black piece put it all back together trimmed and ironed and was actually quite happy with it for a prototype!


This is going to be the centerpiece of a quilt for my brother-in-law who like me is a Collingwood Magpies Australian Rules Football club supporter. Here it is I just have to finish it by doing the binding:


I just did straight line stitch in the ditch quilting for the blocks:



And I also sewed with black thread around the edge of the magpie and sewed on a button for an eye:


The plaid fabrics were old men's shirts from Goodwill which are soft and supple already and I used Warm and natural cotton batting then a piece of flannel for the backing when I quilted it to make it snuggly but I am also considering adding a minky backing which I will just tie quilt to the top  before binding to make it even snugglier. The quilt is only 41" x 32" so my intention was for it to be a  decorative throw quilt.

Popular posts from this blog

Oops - time to prioritize progress goals

A Rainbow Scrap Challenge Finish!

Free block pattern of the week